Tuesday 28 July 2009

R.E.M. - E-Bow The Letter



Here's some more R.E.M., again from 'New Adventures In HiFi'. If you ask me (and maybe they should have) it's a weird choice for first single off an album, but it worked in the UK where this was, apparently, their highest-placing single up to that point. It was also their lowest-placing US single for ten years. I'm sure that tells you something, but I have no idea what. Maybe you folks in the States don't like Patti Smith (for she sings backing).

'Tricycle' is a kind of rockabilly number, instrumental, twangy. The sound-check version of 'Departure' is kind of sparse, but with a load more organ (and more rocking drums) than on the album. I like it. There's also a cover of Richard Thompson's 'Wall Of Death', which is very well worth hearing. Give it a go.

I liked the cover of this, so scanned both sides in full. Something seems to have gone wrong putting them up here, though (they're kind of pixelated), but you get the idea. I have another R.E.M. one ready for sometime soon.




1. E-Bow The Letter
2. Tricycle
3. Departure (Rome Soundcheck)
4. Wall Of Death

The bearded lady is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment