Tuesday 9 June 2009

Palace Songs - Hope



This is going to be a one-off of sorts, in that it's not a single but a proper EP. Singles are there to promote an album, on the whole, as well as (good ones) standing alone - with their b-sides, but I'm not sure how I feel about putting this up, seeing as it's a kind of mini-album. Originally I was going to post a single off Viva Last Blues, and then decided I wanted you folks to hear one of my favourite songs ever.

This is Will Oldham (Palace, Palace Music, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and several others), and I'd say it's a pretty good introduction if you don't know him already. There's four of his songs, a Leonard Cohen cover, and 'Christmastime In The Mountains', which is a cover, but I don't know who did the original - anyone know? This song is genius. I love it. Let me know what you think.

If you like it then I'd recommend getting on Last.fm and having a listen to some more - he's put out tons of stuff, and my personal favourites are Viva Last Blues, I See A Darkness and Beware, but there's not a duffer among them.

1. Agnes, Queen Of Sorrow
2. Untitled
3. Winter Lady
4. Christmastime In The Mountains
5. All Gone, All Gone
6. Werner's Last Blues To Blokbuster

Here y'are.

No comments:

Post a Comment