Friday 19 June 2009

The Flaming Lips - This Here Giraffe



Isn't it beautiful... I seem to remember that, for the short time that shaped CDs were popular, Kylie claimed to have brought out the first one. The Flaming Lips disagreed, as this CD says it is the world's first shaped CD. It looks kind of interesting, and it works, but it makes a hell of a noise when you put it in a computer.

The music lives up to the star, too. The single is great (off Clouds Taste Metallic, which is my favourite Lips album), and the two b-sides are Peel sessions from 1992. It's a shame I wasn't so into them at the time it came out as I became later, as the other CD of this had a cover of 'Life On Mars' - anyone have it? The second session track is, along with the single, one of their best tunes. I hope you like this more than my 8 year-old cousin did in 1996, when he described it as 'rubbish'. Needless to say he couldn't be more wrong.

1. This Here Giraffe
2. The Sun (live Peel session)
3. Hit Me Like You Did The First Time (live Peel session)

This here.

No comments:

Post a Comment