Thursday 13 September 2012

Teenage Fanclub - Radio (CDS)



My favourite Teenage Fanclub song. Let me tell you a story. No - come back! It's a short one.

I went to see TFC at Koko a few years ago, when they were touring 'Shadows' (I think). I was lucky enough to have met a lovely lady called Vanessa who does radio for them, and asked her if she'd ask the band to play 'Radio', which they very rarely do. I'd been with a couple of friends to see them in Hamburg with The Posies, and they didn't play it then, even though I asked.

Anyway, they played their set, and it was bloody great, of course. Then they did an encore, and didn't play 'Radio'. Then they went off, came back, and played another encore... Still no. Lights came up. People started leaving. Ah well.

Then they came back on again and played it! I'm sure you can imagine that it was one of, if not, the greatest moments of my life. Don't tell my family.

B-sides are awesome, all of them. You knew that. Enjoy. Great swearing.

1. Radio
2. Weird Horses
3. Don's Gone Columbia
4. Chords Of Fame


Here we go again.

9 comments:

  1. It seems that the big stupid gap is back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a great blog you have here! Thanks for sharing some of the best moments in music...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for getting in touch - it's good to know people are enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. Just stumbled upon your fantastic blog I have spent the last 90 minutes of my life enjoying all of your write-ups!! I thought I was aware of everything Teenage Fanclub, but it appears you are way ahead of me! Thanks for the TFC music with the newspaper, as well as other singles unknown to me. Is there any chance you can re-up some of the older stuff? or was it removed? In particular Ash's Goldfinger, the Dino Jr thing from the movie, the Boo Radleys Lulu and 60 Ft dolls. Again, thanks for taking the time to do the write-ups, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Excellent - I was starting to doubt that anyone actually read any of that stuff! I think the depth of TFC knowledge comes from an obsession dating back over 20 years now...

      I can't recall whether the stuff you mention was removed or expired, but I'm pretty sure I still have it all somewhere. Can you send me your email address and I'll send you some links when I have time, just in case they've got me in trouble before?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all the TFC, amongst a bunch of other great stuff. I recently lost a whole lot of music from my computer accidently... all TFC included, so it's nice to get some of the rarer bits back here. Also, thanks for sharing the story. It may feel kind of "dorky"... but some of the best experiences of my life have been things like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorky? How dare you! Well... Maybe a bit...

      Really pleased to hear you've enjoyed replacing your TFC from my posts, and I hope you keep enjoying the blog. I have got some more to put up soon, but I never quite seem to have time. Maybe later..!

      Delete
  5. HI db, thanks for the email offer. my email is johnericbuck@gmail.com

    one of best shows i ever saw was TFC at the 9:30 club in Washington DC around the time "Radio" came out. Mind blowing show.

    ReplyDelete