Saturday 3 July 2010

Flying Saucer Attack / GbV / Änglagård - The Polite Cream Tea Corps E.P.



In 1994 this 7" came with the Ptolmeic Terrascope magazine. I knew about it because I was into Flying Saucer Attack, and it includes one of their best tracks; "All About Dreams". It was notable for something else, though, because it was the first time I'd ever heard anything by Guided By Voices, who went on to become one of my favourite bands. You're lucky - this 7" was really warped when I got it on the magazine, and now it's flattened out thanks to years in a box! Today's probably the first time I've heard it without that weird wobble you get on a properly bent record.

So, FSA do their thing, lovely song. GbV do their thing, as only they can. Änglagård I can tell you nothing about at all, sorry! But their track is properly nuts. Some kind of crazy jazz/prog weirdness, with some Zappa and God only knows what else thrown in. How on earth do you write a song like this!? It's like about four songs together. Every minute.

Not much of a photo to look at with this post - there's no cover, and the information is scratched into the centre of the vinyl. There were, apparently, 16 copies of this with hand-made covers by Flying Saucer Attack. I only wish I'd been quicker to get mine... I don't have the magazine any more either, sadly.

1. Flying Saucer Attack - All About Dreams
2. Guided By Voices - Chicken Blows
3. Änglagård - Gånglåt från Knapptibble

Hear y'are.

And here are more pictures I found:





1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Keep up the great work.

    Here's the cover art for this release if you are interested.
    http://www.gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=976


    e6gMan

    ReplyDelete