Tuesday 20 April 2010

Drugstore (featuring Thom Yorke) - El President



Another gap in posts - sorry everyone. But I had a dream last night where the caretaker of a school told me they'd thrown a load of 7"s in a skip, and I could have them if I wanted, so I took that as a sign. See? This thing is getting into my subconscious...

Anyway, this is a great track. As the title says, it's a duet between the wonderfully named Isabel Monteiro and the wonderfully voiced Thom Yorke. The a-side is great, and is genuinely a good duet, rather than a novelty track, and the b-side is also well worth a listen - more typical of their songs, I think.

I thought I didn't really know any more Drugstore stuff, but had a vague feeling that I used to like them when they were around. However, looking at the track-listing of their first LP ('Drugstore'), there's loads of great tunes! They had two more after that, and this track is off their 1998 album 'White Magic For Lovers'. Apparently they've just reformed, along with every other band who split between 1995 and 1998.

It's on blue vinyl, and I played it a fair bit back in the day, which is a winning combination if you like surface noise. But then if you didn't, you wouldn't be here.

Here he is.

3 comments:

  1. I've got the album "Songs For The Jet Set" which I remember being pretty good though I haven't heard it in a while. I do remember this single though. I met the band once when they came and did a radio session for me back when I was working in radio. They were lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them loads of times back in the day and have all of their early stuff; first album, Starcrossed EP, Nectarine, Solitary Party Groover... They were one of my favourite festival bands. I may even have a christmas 7" somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. found ALIVE:
    http://www.facebook.co/group.php?gid=30420747055

    ReplyDelete