Sunday 18 October 2009

UPDATED Urusei Yatsura / Mogwai / Backwater - Split Tour 7"

Right. Sorry for any confusion, and thanks to Rob for pointing it out, but I'd screwed up the track listing/tracks for this post. I've re-upped it, and the new listing is below. Rather than a long version of 'Phasers', it's actually two Urusei tracks, but one - 'Pachinko (live)' - isn't listed on the 7". I'd also put up the Mogwai track twice, because I am a fool. Backwater's there now.



Second in October's short series (of two) tour 7"s from some time ago... This one is a split between two of Scotland's finest (Urusei Yatsura and Mogwai), and one of Ulster's most-forgotten (Backwater). A little reading around tells me that (as well as previously appearing in my blog) they supported Sebadoh and Def Leppard in their now sadly neglected career.

This 7" was handed to the first 50 people through the doors of the tour that these three bands did in 1996, where U.Y. were supported by an up-and-coming Mogwai for half the dates, and by Backwater for the others. I saw them with Backwater at the Moles Club in Bath, where I also once lost a jumper.

The Urusei and Mogwai tracks are live, and the former is a good version of an album track where they turn into Pavement halfway through (no they don't - see above). The Backwater one is a demo, I think. Apologies for the poor quality of the vinyl (and the original recordings), but you're not going to find this stuff anywhere else!

1. Mogwai - Summer
2. Backwater - Summer 17
3. Urusei Yatsura - Phasers (Live)
4. Urusei Yatsura - Pachinko (Live)

Hear.

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    Thanks for posting this. Did you actually listen to it before you did so?

    Track 1 - Urusei Yatsura and Backwater tracks combined i.e. the bit "where they turn into Pavement halfway through" is actually Urusei turning into Backwater
    Track 2: Mogwai - Summer (demo)
    Track 3: Mogwai - Summer (demo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... Sorry - I didn't listen to it. When I chopped up the file I thought I'd got it right, but there were a few false starts because the record peaked a couple of times.

    I'm pretty sure the Pavement bit is Urusei, though, not Backwater. Give me a couple of days and I'll put it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, sorry maybe this really late, but any chance to reupload this wonderful stop? thanks so much

    ReplyDelete