Monday 2 April 2012

James - Destiny Calling CDS


I listen to a lot of BBC 6music, and I'd recommend you do the same. Particularly Marc Riley and Tom Ravenscroft. But anyway, the station springs to mind because they like to play James periodically, and every time they do I remember that I really like them. Pretty solid output, too, there's a lot to like about all their albums, I'd say.

This is a good single, if not maybe one of their very best, but the b-sides are a nice little reminder of the heyday of the Reading Festival, when you used to tape it off Radio 1 (didn't you?) When I go back to these (or find DVDs of stuff from the era) I find myself recognising the chatting between songs and not knowing why.

This is CD2 of a 3-CD set. I don't think I ever had 1 and 3, so I can't tell you what you're missing. What you've got is pretty good, mind.

1. Destiny Calling
2. Jam J (Live At Reading '97)
3. Honest Joe (Live At Reading '97)
4. Sound (Live At Reading '97)

Hear it.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent band, James. Their early stuff is amazing too, though a bit more quirky than their peak period singles like this one.

    I see you've fixed the "big stupid gap" problem too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is cd1!
    http://turnonyourrecordplayer.blogspot.com/2012/02/destiny-calling-cd1.html

    Thanks for cd2!

    Iano1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, fixed the "big stupid gap" by... doing exactly the same as I did on the post which had it. This one nearly had no paragraph gaps, for an equally mysterious reason.

    Thanks for the link to CD1, Ian01! All we need now is to complete the hat-trick of people who had more money than sense in 1997, and more time on their hands than is good for them in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest cd3 doesn't have anything new on it. 1. Destiny Calling 2. Shes a star 3. cd rom enhanced stuff! The enhanced stuff was all the rage at the time. Enough to buy it?? Ehh no!
    Iano1

    ReplyDelete