Saturday 19 March 2011

Smog - Ex-Con 7"



Robster, here's your prize! It's a post dedicated only to you, and you alone. Other people might read it, sure, but this one's for you (and Steve Ogriz0vic). I hope you like it. I tried to gift wrap it, but I ran out of Sellotape (or sticky-backed plastic, if you're into the whole Blue Peter thing).

Mat, this is second prize. Squeethorp, this is third.

And this is Smog, who are generally quiet and acoustic, as far as I'm aware. This is a kind of demo-sounding tune, but it shows how important a bit of space in a good song is. You'll see what I mean. Anyway, it's really good, and was the first thing I ever heard by them/him - Bill Callahan is/was the main man, who is/was Mr Joanna Newsom, I think. Did I make that/up?

The b-side is a real rocker! Full of bashing the crap out of the drums and feedback. Seriously. I don't know if anything else of theirs sounds like this, but maybe it should have done.

1. Ex-Con
2. Just Like Napoleon

Here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment