Monday 29 November 2010

Me Me Me - Hanging Around 7"



I know, I know. I promised something special. Well, this is something kind of interesting instead, and also a kind of definitive guide to the sound of 1996, in case anyone here wasn't sure what that sound was. You'll have to wait for the something special I'm afraid, when I have time on my hands again (maybe in 16 years or so).

Me Me Me were an indie-pop supergroup, if you will. Stephen Duffy (Duran Duran/The Lilac Time), Alex James (Blur), Justin Welch (Elastica) and Charlie Bloor (Charlie Bloor) got together to do some tracks for a Damien Hirst show, and this single was the result. The single itself is great, I reckon. But it probably polarises opinion, I'd think. Sounds like it would. It's a little like the more chirpy Blur tracks but without the piss-irritatingness. It's only 2 1/2 minutes long, if you can't stand it.

The b-side, funnily enough, sounds like early Blur. I like it too. I wonder how much input Alex James really had into Blur's songs..?

1. Hanging Around
2. Hollywood Wives

Here y'are.

No comments:

Post a Comment