Tuesday 12 April 2011

Bivouac - The Bell Foundry 7"



I'll be honest with you, one of the main reasons I bought this record was the colour of the vinyl. Just look at it. Beautiful. You try doing that with an MP3.

Anyway, turns out I made a great decision, as this is a superb slice of noisy guitary mid-90sy ROCK! And, looking them up right now, it appears they ended up on Geffen for their third LP, which is actually the only one I have; it's called 'Full Size Boy', and I'd strongly recommend getting hold of it. Great stuff. They were from Derby, like Cable.

This is a couple of years earlier than that album, and is great. A-side's really good, first b-side also good, second b-side (happy days) is an acoustic track, which is a bit of a departure from anything else I've heard by these guys. Also good, but suffers from either shoddy recording or a shoddy needle.

By the way, I've found a great 7" in the pile, which will go up next...

1. The Bell Foundry
2. Lead
3. Saltwater Heal (acoustic)

Hear ye.

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were never into Bivouac at the time! What an awesome band. Their first proper album Tuber is much better than Full Size Boy but both are great. Tuber also came with a free acoustic 10" of tracks from the album plus an early version of Trepanning. Only got to see them once - at the Roadhouse in Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Tuber tip - I'll check it out. And I'm sorry to disappoint you... I also only saw them once, at a tiny venue in Bath called the Moles Club, which is still around. It was insanely loud, and when I played there in an early version of San Quentin (Umbrella) played I had to stand in one place on the stage because the pipework on the ceiling was too low for a 6'4" frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way you could put this up again by any chance? Only just come across yr blog. I used to like Bivouac a lot back in the day but don't have any of their stuff any more. Looking around for the Lps as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. No problem at all, but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks as I don't have easy access to my MP3s right now. I don't put LPs up here, but I could send you links to Tuber and Full Size Boy if you send me your email address. I also have another 12" kicking about somewhere. I'm using Mega for uploads now in the hope things don't expire so fast!

      Delete
    2. Hi. Link is now up and working. I'll sort out AC Acoustics now as well, and send you some other links later. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Oh nice one, thanks very much. No rush :)
    I'm at tulip.65@hotmail.co.uk

    much obliged!

    ReplyDelete