Wednesday 10 June 2020

Beatnik Filmstars - Supremer Queener 7"


Another huge gap between posts, but I am going to do better, promise.

More Bristol stuff, but Mobstar not Planet, back to the Beatniks. Remember I said I had one of their 7"s wrapped in wallpaper? Well, this is it. Those were the days, plastic sleeve printed with the band's name, then wallpaper inside, then white vinyl in its own plastic sleeve... It probably cost them as much to make as it cost me to buy.

But they saved on production costs with the music, as ever. Although actually these tracks aren't as unusually produced as most of their songs of this era, and along with this being probably my favourite of their EPs, they sound good too. Supremer Queener is a proper pop song, and should have been a massive hit. Possibly. All the rest are variously noisy and quiet, and genuinely this is a really, really good record. I hope you agree.

1. Supremer Queener
2. I Am A Pioneer
3. Seventies Flick
4. A Crazy Exploding

Wallpaper here.




1 comment: